Autism Developmental Approach Therapies Association
Who are we?
- We are a group of parents and professionals who live, work with, and teach children with developmental delays including those on the autism spectrum using a developmental approach.
- We believe in developmental approach therapies over behavioural management.
- We believe that a respectful, relationship-based approach reveals our children’s highest potential to relate, communicate, and think.
What do we do?
- We advocate for a Developmental Approach to autism and developmental differences.
- We advocate for parent choice to have a funded relationship-based therapy.
- We advocate for respectful developmental support over behavioural management.
What is a Developmental Approach?
A developmental approach is a relationship-based approach that respects the natural process that development takes when a child’s individual differences are supported through safe, warm and nurturing relationships that take into account the child’s interests and current developmental stage.
Through these safe, warm, and nurturing relationships, children develop the capacities to relate, communicate, and think through meaningful, emotional experiences in play.
They share attention, engage and interact with others, learn to co-regulate with others and eventually self-regulate in emotionally charged situations, see another’s perspective, work with others to solve problems, create ideas, and think logically.
Behavioral Challenge* s in Children with Autism and Other Special Needs: The Developmental Approach by Diane Cullinane, M.D.
Engaging Autism by Stanley Greenspan, M.D. and Serena Wieder, PhD
Social and Emotional Development in Early Intervention by Mona Delahooke, PhD
* Links to these books bring you to our sister site‘s Amazon Affiliate where purchases will help fund these websites.